Skip to main content

Entry 7

 Fall Week 6 Worklog

I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers.

10/6/2024

Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was…

Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies)

The thing that's currently making me confident that I can work this out is the fact that I finally am understanding and learning how to implement the unity movement system and have a player controller going that I can read and understand.

I plan on tackling the camera and maybe animation/flipping tomorrow.

10/7/2024
 
Didn't do a whole lot today as I had to catch up on some other work... I wanna say I probably only worked for like 2 hours. With that said though, the camera controller is working pretty well! 
its hard to tell just from gif footage alone, but Doc's directional movement is influenced by the camera's position now, so the player can use that input to move them alongside the regular inputs! Hurray!

The next big things are getting the camera zoom to work (which is where I spent most of my little time today admittedly, researching that) and the player animations working properly... I'm a lot more confident about the latter working out now that I actually have a grasp on what I'm doing. Though I am wondering if I should use a cinemachine camera instead of what I currently have going, that might be something I need to experiment with once I get the basics down.

10/8/2024
 
Unfortunately I didn't get much time to work today as I had initially hoped, though from what little work I did do, I did get the game to read my scroll wheel inputs and started playing around with cinemachine. The scroll wheel controls only took like. 10-15 minutes to figure out which is really nice considering I thought it was going to take longer (I'm sure actually getting the camera to work with it is going to be the thing that eats up my time though). I'm like practically at the finish line for this I just need to get cinemachine to play nice with my controls.

Another thing I DID, however, realize while playing around with my camera and controls tonight is that I forgot to re-enable the billboarding script on Doc so I had a slight moment of panic of "oh no the player isn't gonna be able to see them if they move left or right because they're flat I have to rethink everything now" so that was fun. I was very entertained by seeing them spin around though.


Like I said though I just forgot to re-enable their billboarding script so that their sprite will always face the camera, and that's working perfectly thankfully.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...