Skip to main content

Entry 2

 Fall Week 1 Worklog: Rough Ideas and Main Character

9/3/2024 - There's art in this one I swear

Planning… Scheming, even

Because I admittedly don't have a lot of concept artwork done for this project, my informal pitch presentation I'm gonna put together for class is mostly going to consist of my mood board images, games I've taken inspiration from, and a rough idea as to what levels I'd like to make and the "storyline" of this game (aka, Doc just wants to go outside and touch grass). I may also get into some of the NPCs I hope to include in the game that the player can talk to, but I also don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Anyways here's my rough ideas thus far, this is gonna be more of a ramble/brainstorm as opposed to something put together super neatly lol:

Story…

Farer Dreamer is a game about a character named Doc who felt their life was too stagnant and wanted to go out and explore the world. They board a magical subway car named Ferri who takes them to various places.

Gameplay and Mechanics…

The player will have basic movement controls, as well as a jump (…maybe a double jump?), and maybe a dash/sprint… honestly this is super subject to change as I get the levels put together and all of that but the primary focus of this game is exploration. The player will also be able to interact with NPCs they meet during their journey, usually chatting, sometimes giving items they'll pick up during their travels

Items! yeah! I think it'd be neat if the player could gather items from specific levels and then use them elsewhere/gift them to NPCs as mentioned before. Maybe some of these items can be used on the player and have differing effects. I do plan on having a health system/death state in Farer Dreamer, so some of these item effects can play a role in that. Speaking of that, when the player dies they'll lose whatever items were in their inventory at the time. Before entering a level they'll have the opportunity to talk to Ferri (the AI running the subway) and from there they can store their items on the train car. I think this can add more a risk/reward mechanic to the gameplay, even if this game is more exploration based.

The basic gameplay loop I have in mind is you start on the subway car, arrive at a stop and exit the car, enter the level and explore/survive, re-find your way to the subway car (completing a level or just re-entering from the entrance of the car if it doesn't disappear), rinse and repeat. I think that I'll also include a mechanic where the player can reset themselves back onto the subway car, but it would be similar to dying so they'd lose their items.

I think another mechanic I might add is the ability to sell items on the train for currency. See I kind of want to add shops that you can visit in the random levels, but I'm not entirely sure how I want to go about obtaining currency… but I feel like this would give the items more of a purpose and also add to that risk/reward thing (heck maybe if I decide to be real mean you can lose your coins when you die to. We'll see how evil I feel when I start polishing all this rambling)

Visuals…

Visually, I envision this game looking similar to the Paper Mario games, with the environments being 3D while the characters and some items are 2D. I plan to use a billboarding effect for the characters that'll follow the camera.

Speaking of, I am still debating on if I want to make the camera static or not. I guess it could be one of those things that depends on the level you're on. Like for some of the more open and explorative levels I think it could be cool to have a toggle for first person to third person view (controlled by the scroll wheel on the mouse). I suppose that's a bridge we can cross when we get there, I know that for the main level hub (the subway car) I want the camera to be 3rd person and static.

So, who are we playing as?

Now lets talk about Doc! The character the player will be playing as. They're a character I've had lingering around since 2020ish, originally starting out as my own take on what my player character in Sky: Children of the Light looked like at the time before eventually evolving into their own thing. They don't really have much of a backstory, as all that I had really written down for them in terms of characterization is that they enjoy traveling.

Doc's Updates

This is the first time in awhile they've received any major updates design-wise as for the past couple of years I have been focusing in developing on my other characters and universes. But given their affinity for travel and not already belonging to any set universe of mine, I thought it'd be fitting to plop them into this project as our main player character.

I decided to give them a bit of a redesign for this project for several reasons:

  • The biggest reason was making them easier to animate. While yes on one hand there is more fabric to have to work with now, I find this new design is easier to break down into basic shapes compared to their old design. The changes made to the arms, hands, and feet will also hopefully make them easier to animate as well.
  • I also wanted to make them a bit more cartoonishly stylized? In my recent sketches and doodles of them I've found it easier allow myself to be more expressive and silly with them as opposed to their old design where they were more, I guess, "accurately proportionate"
  • I also wanted to further divorce them from the thing they were originally inspired by, and pulling more from the plague doctor aesthetic they have going on with their new appearance.

I still might tweak some things with their new design, mostly in terms of where some colors are placed, but I think build-wise I'm pretty happy with where they're at! The most relevant row of designs pictured here is the first row as that's how they will appear in-game. The other rows are more for my own reference/to try and make sense of how their clothing is layered on them and whatnot.

I think if anything winds up changing in the near future, I may wind up fully closing their little cape thingy… I'll decide once I draw them more probably.

With Doc's redesign mostly out of the way, in the coming weeks I plan to really lock in with figuring out what my level environments look like and how they'll be structured. I also might hop into Unity to test out some gameplay elements and get a movement script going.

// Old Doc meeting new Doc......... new Doc is not actually that teeny


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 6

  Fall Week 5 Worklog 9/29/2024 Finally getting my grubby little hands into the game engine. My goal for this week was to get a basic player controller and camera working while. Ultimately I decided that it'd be neat to have the player character flip like they do in paper mario as opposed to having the characters just billboard depending on camera view. Ironically I feel with the billboarding effect I was initially wanting to go for it'd be hard to get a sense of depth/position. Doc's actual sprite animations aren't done, so for now I just have a placeholder Doclet. While the flipping mechanic worked, I noticed the walk animation activating upon landing as well as my movements being a bit floaty feeling with this first go at things so I needed to play around and research more, but hey it was a start at least. 10/2/2024 So this week was basically mostly dedicated to getting the player movement controller refined. Did I succeed by my internal due date? No not at all I got...

Entry 11

  Fall Week 10 Worklog 10/30/2024 - Into Maya I decided to get into Maya during the class work period today and start modeling out the subway properly. Of course this means it's time to refresh myself on using Maya and also getting my models in and out of Unity, as I did my greyboxes in engine. Thankfully! Exporting out of Unity is a pretty straightforward process. All I had to do was install the FBX exporter package, select my game objects, and then export them as an FBX. From there I imported the subway greybox into maya and started refining. It was a bit slow at the beginning having to readjust to maya's controls but I got back into the groove soon enough. I spent all class (5ish hours) in maya, modeling and uv unwrapping. It's just about there but there's some final touches I want to add next work session. I'm expecting that refining my other greyboxes HOPEFULLY won't take as long since I now remember how to navigate maya, but for today I think I'm done....

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...