Skip to main content

Entry 11

 Fall Week 10 Worklog

10/30/2024 - Into Maya

I decided to get into Maya during the class work period today and start modeling out the subway properly. Of course this means it's time to refresh myself on using Maya and also getting my models in and out of Unity, as I did my greyboxes in engine.

Thankfully! Exporting out of Unity is a pretty straightforward process. All I had to do was install the FBX exporter package, select my game objects, and then export them as an FBX.

From there I imported the subway greybox into maya and started refining. It was a bit slow at the beginning having to readjust to maya's controls but I got back into the groove soon enough. I spent all class (5ish hours) in maya, modeling and uv unwrapping. It's just about there but there's some final touches I want to add next work session.

I'm expecting that refining my other greyboxes HOPEFULLY won't take as long since I now remember how to navigate maya, but for today I think I'm done.

 

11/2/2024 - Logo Work

I like to hop around a lot don't I? Ah well, progress is progress. Today I decided to vectorize the logo I sketched out last week in illustrator, which thankfully was a pretty straightforward process. I don't... love using illustrator, but I find that for logo designing it lets me get the cleanest lines I can. Not to mention the vectorization, so I can scale it up/down without losing any quality.


After about 4 hours I got this. I think for the actual final logo I might add some small shading details or an outline but for a base silhouette I think this is fine.

 

11/4/24 - More Maya
I decided to start refining Press 'N Hold's greybox today and I'm actually remembering to time how much I work! It took 11 weeks but I'm finally doing it! Though I wish I could find a program that pauses the stopwatch if I tab out of my work program since I tend to jump around a lot. With that said I worked for only a little over an hour on this. I still gotta model the tent itself but the main ground, seating arrangement, and general layout are making some good progress. I still need to UV unwrap but that shouldn't be too bad. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...