Skip to main content

Entry 6

 Fall Week 5 Worklog

9/29/2024

Finally getting my grubby little hands into the game engine. My goal for this week was to get a basic player controller and camera working while.

Ultimately I decided that it'd be neat to have the player character flip like they do in paper mario as opposed to having the characters just billboard depending on camera view. Ironically I feel with the billboarding effect I was initially wanting to go for it'd be hard to get a sense of depth/position.

Doc's actual sprite animations aren't done, so for now I just have a placeholder Doclet. While the flipping mechanic worked, I noticed the walk animation activating upon landing as well as my movements being a bit floaty feeling with this first go at things so I needed to play around and research more, but hey it was a start at least.

10/2/2024

So this week was basically mostly dedicated to getting the player movement controller refined. Did I succeed by my internal due date? No not at all I got swamped with other work I had to catch up on. That's why my entries have been getting posted so late whoops. Also surprise! I'm changing the format of these because typing after the fact is not working for me and I am wasting time I feel <3 I'll be writing these as I go going forward.

Anyways today was mostly a research day, being mostly experienced with 2D games means oh yeah, I need to learn 3D player and camera controls. Whichhhh also means that I am basically scrapping the bit of movement I had from the previous work day as I want to use Unity's new(ish) input system. I believe it'll be good for me in the long-run but it's not a thing I am as experienced with so I'm hitting some roadblocks.

The other reason I'm redoing a lot is because I realized that I am going to (…and am currently) run into issues with the player flipping if the player can also control the camera (which I would like to be the case). I need to get the movement system properly in place before I can work this problem out.

I am hoping to have things MOSTLY worked out by next Wednesday. I can fine-tune later. While I'm in a tricky spot right now I am confident that once I get the player controller working alright I'll be able to visibly make A LOT more progress. But for now you're just gonna have to take my word.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...