Skip to main content

Entry 5

Fall Week 4 Worklog: Visdev

9/28/2024

Not a whole lot to talk about, mostly just been putting together my pitch presentation and finalizing the production schedule. Aside from that I've been chipping away at some visdev stuff as I've worked on that, have a look!

Concept art for Press 'N Hold!

…This thing took a stupid amount of time because I thought "oh if I just do it in my painting style this'll be quick". I was wrong <3 This is why we thumbnail!! A thing I love forgetting to do for whatever reason, you'd think I'd learn by now.

 // Inital sketch and WIP. Spot the differences lol

Cloudskipper

Oh god this one, heeeey so remember that Chase level concept? Well itsssss this now! I decided to shift gears and focus on making it a short platforming level. Admittedly I am still on the fence about this level's aesthetic. Originally I was leaning towards some sort of dark factory/facility where you'd have to evade a monster that's constantly chasing you, but then thought no, aesthetically that might be too close to the Half Floor level. So right now I've landed on this sorta hazy surreal dream vibe. I feel like I could go further with this and add some more just basic geometric structures to add more to the surrealist vibe I want to go for in the actual level.

I wound up spending some extra time chipping away with painting this one, so the version that was in my presentation and the final version are a bit different. I don't have an accurate idea as to how long this took, but all things considered it was probably less time than the Press 'N Hold art since I y'know, actually thumbnailed and prepared for this one.



// Thumbnails and WIP, the third was the unpolished version I wound up showing in class because it was 2 AM when I was rendering and I was gonna have to be running on 4 hours of sleep doing my pitch so you can imagine how that went 👍


Lots of Doc doodles. I wanted to get a better grasp on their silhouette to better figure out their proportions, so I would start by blotting out their basic shape with am orange marker and then lining over that. They're messy, but they're supposed to be!! A big thing I struggle with is allowing myself to just, draw messy and loose and "crappily", and I found that this helped. Honestly even if they're crummy They have some charm to em.

Me and a friend kept shrinking them and making these like… "minimalist Docs" (seen mostly in the second picture) as I initially called em and eventually I landed on a design that I just. can not stop doodling. I'm calling them the Doclets.

Later down the line after doodling more of these beasts I had the galaxy brain idea of hey, I haven't designed a logo for this thing yet… what if a Doclet was one of the "R" letters in either Farer or Dreamer? So I started to sketch out what this could look like, it'll be a lot clearer and easier to edit once I try to digitalize things but its a start. Also, another friend of mine also pointed out that the R Doclet would make a great minimalist desktop icon for the game which they are SO right about that and I will probably wind up doing that.

I'm not too focused on the actual asset art right now, but I will probably chip away at logo ideas in my free time now that I've got this idea. Expect more Doclets.  


 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...