Skip to main content

Entry 22

Week 9 Worklog

3/19/25

In today's class work session (about 4 hours) I touched up the model textures on Press 'N Hold and started importing them in engine, getting the final assembly ready.

 
and here's what it looks like in-engine so far...
 

I still need to place the bulbs around the gate and do the lighting, and I might mess around with some of the colors some more after the fact but either way its nice finally getting the greybox textures out.

3/22/25

More coding! today! My goal was to get the scene transitions implemented in and HOPEFULLY get a start on getting the train cutscenes working right.

Surprisingly the basic transitions didn't give me too much grief, getting the normal level entries/exits up and running only took like 20 minutes

normally upon exiting we'd go back to the subway, but just for testing this out I made the cloudskip exit transition to PNH and then the subway.

Roughly 2-3ish hours of playing around with code later, and I've got the dialogue activating on its own upon entering the subway, the player being able to continue that, and the transitions looping. I need to adjust some timing and also properly implement the different dialogues and level arrays to the transition, but it's one step closer to the basic loop being done. finally. 

3/25/25

4+ hours. For branching dialogue. That's all.


 AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK ENTIRELY PROPERLY-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...