Skip to main content

Entry 17

Spring Week 1 Worklog

1/22/25

First Thesis studio class of the semester! I worked for 5 hours today and wrapped up modeling out the basic platforming models in cloudskipper and UV unwrapped them :D

It looks like a lot, but I've tried to unwrap and map the UVs in a way that would allow me to reuse the textures of each modular piece for the most part, so hopefully I won't have to make as many unique textures when I get there.

I'm gonna hold off on texturing for the time being as there is still some structural modeling I need to do for this level, so that comes first. Thankfully my schedule opened wayyy up since I was able to move some credits around and get out of a class that would've bogged me down a lot so I can give this more attention compared to fall semester and am feeling a bit more confident in being able to handle the workload, hooray!

1/24/25

No 3D work today since I spent a couple hours working in maya already for another class earlier, but I did wanna try and get some thesis work done today so I spent about 2 hours roughing out some ideas for a small logo rework.

One of the critiques I got about it last semester when we were going over our work was that the R in "dreamer", the Doclet, didn't read as an R super well which I do agree with so I'm attempting to make that a bit more clear in these revisions.

I'm getting close but something still feels off. I guess I'll sleep on it for now. 

Oh, on a similar "branding" related note, earlier this month I worked on coming up with ideas for little business cards for the showcase I forgot to share. They're just some quick thumbnails I did while sketching in my freetime, but I figured I should note them nonetheless. I'm unsure if I'll fully finish these for the show and they're not exactly a huge priority compared to well. yknow. the game, but yeah.

1/28/25

3 hours of work today and I've begun modeling out the bigger structures in Cloudskipper. I didn't get as far as I had hoped this week (I was hoping to be UVing everything by now) and only have most of the main entry done. I wound up redoing what I had done in maya and I feel like this model is a lot cleaner. I still have to demolish a bit of the building but I'll get there

The other reason this is taking me awhile is because I wound up making modular pieces for the arched doorways/walls, which sounds like a waste of time but I think this'll save me some time when I move onto the remaining structures since I just need to put the pieces together. Also it helps with keeping my scaling in check.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...