Skip to main content

Entry 19

 Spring Week 4 & 5 Worklog

2/11/25

2 hours total today, the first hour was spent getting some of the cloudskip models in engine and the second was spent getting started on figuring out level transitions. How I'm planning for this to work is that I'm going to use a lootbox/gacha-like system to essentially pick levels out of a hat. Since there are only 2 right now it'll be 50/50 but as time goes on I would like to add more levels with some being rarer than others. 

2/12/25

I spent the first hour or so of class today researching how to get the level randomization to work, I think I have an idea as to how I'm going to do it but I'm going to wait until I'm back at home to work on it since it's a bit hard for me to focus in the lab unfortunately/I have an easier time programming at home. Also I needed to wake up more.

So in the meantime and for the rest of my work session today (5ish hours?) I've decided to hop back into clip to continue my logo rework and also rough out some other 2D/UI assets

 Also sometime during this I decided to try and import all the cloudskipper models into unity to make sure they worked right, and they did. hooray! 

I've been a bit all over the place today but we're getting there.

2/13/25 - 2/15/25

While not exclusively thesis work, I've been spending these past couple of days compiling my work and setting up a portfolio site that I plan to link to on the business cards I intend to make for the showcase.

2/16/25 - 2/17/25

Figured out how to get the level randomization to work for now on the front end, back end there are things I want to fix with it but it's nothing the player would notice. I'll come back to this if I continue to work on Farer Dreamer after graduation. Admittedly I didn't keep track of time working at this, maybe 4 or 5 hours total if I had to guess. I also used this time to make sure the levels looped properly (so exit from subway > level > level exit/complete and re-enter subway).

2/19/25

Spent the class period (so maybe a bit under 4ish hours) making the prefabs of the platforms/objects in the Cloudskipper level and then assembling said level. The models are untextured but aside from some normals on the entryway model being a bit weird everything's working nicely!

I would've worked for longer but me and my roommate wound up walking back home today rather than wait on the shuttle.

2/20/25

Today after my class and during the evening hours I decided to finish the logo rework. I'm not sure how long in total it took but I wrapped up what I still had to do in about an hour and 30 minutes.

And then I decided to sink 2 more hours onto this via playing around with gradients and stuff. I do not like how illustrator handles layers that was fun to deal with (lying).


 There's still more I would like to play around with, but I'm gonna stop for today.

2/21/25

Chipped away at the logo again throughout the day today, I didn't really time myself since I did it in-between other work but I think I'm calling it done! Here's the final + some variants:

 

 ...and my collection of Doclets :3


 The silhouetted logos were initially black but I forgot this blog's entire background is black. So they're light purple for here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 5

Fall Week 4 Worklog: Visdev 9/28/2024 Not a whole lot to talk about, mostly just been putting together my pitch presentation and finalizing the production schedule. Aside from that I've been chipping away at some visdev stuff as I've worked on that, have a look! Concept art for Press 'N Hold! …This thing took a stupid amount of time because I thought "oh if I just do it in my painting style this'll be quick". I was wrong <3 This is why we thumbnail!! A thing I love forgetting to do for whatever reason, you'd think I'd learn by now.   // Inital sketch and WIP. Spot the differences lol Cloudskipper Oh god this one , heeeey so remember that Chase level concept? Well itsssss this now! I decided to shift gears and focus on making it a short platforming level. Admittedly I am still on the fence about this level's aesthetic. Originally I was leaning towards some sort of dark factory/facility where you'd have to evade a monster that's constantly...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...