Skip to main content

Entry 20

 Spring Week 6 & 7 Worklog

2/26/25

Today's work period consisted of getting Doc's player animations in engine as well as finally getting some UI/Menu stuff done since I have been avoiding that. Doc's animation clips have been made, I now need to get them to trigger and transition at the proper time. Again it's hard for me to code in-class so this is where I've stopped for now, deciding to wrap up some loose ends with branding work.

3/4/25 - 3/5/25

ok so the rest of that last week was a giant mess and I genuinely cannot remember what else I worked on if I did, midterms and some other stuff threw me really off track. SO WEEK 7 HUH! Time is... flying. I don't like that. 

Anyways I am FINALLY getting to dialogue and some UI stuff. No Doc's animations still aren't fully implemented. I am. all over the place once more. I didn't really time myself since I worked in-between resting, but I got a basic dialogue system in place over the span of the past two days.

placeholder dialogue only like 6 people might understand <3

Essentially how it functions is that I have scriptable objects for the individual conversations and scriptable objects for the "actors" (recurring characters/NPCs). There's also a space in the dialogueSO where I can just input a name and portrait for a random NPC as opposed to make a whole actor for them.

It's not shown here, but the system I have in place will allow me to have multiple characters talking in a conversation and it also allows for branching conversations via dialogue options. The latter will be important for the opening of the game since I plan on having FERRI ask the player if they've "been on board with us before", or in other words, if they've played the game before.

I still have cleaning up to do, like those buttons shouldn't be there and for the subway scenarios like this I need the dialogue to trigger during a cutscene as opposed to me manually triggering it like I am here, but that's a task for another day... or my next work session.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...