Skip to main content

Entry 21

Spring Break (Week 8) Worklog

yes I'm working through the break
 
I do want to note that on top of the gamedev work I've been doing I also have been working on more general self-promotional material. I am lumping this work in with the project as I would like to get a proper portfolio site up and running that I can link to as well as business cards and other goodies at the showcase. I didn't time any of this work as I tend to work at the stuff in-between projects sporadically but I feel it's noteworthy enough to mention here.

3/11/25

Because I'm starting to get into cutscene/load triggers I decided to put together a quick animation of the subway doors closing and opening. I might recolor the assets sometime in the future once I have the subway textured to better match, but for now they're mildly ominous purple doors


This only took about an hour and 30 minutes, a lot of that was messing around with color gradients while making the 2D assets before just saying screw it we can change it later.

The other animation-related thing I decided to work on for the next almost two hours was getting the player's animations to properly play with the movement inputs. I've got the basic forwards and backwards movement working fine (for a bit... until it somehow broke??? so gotta fix that lucky me) but the jump is my current trouble that I'll continue working at tomorrow. I also still need to get them to flip when they face left/right.

3/12/25

2 hours and 30 minutes in for today and little to no progress on the animations. The movement is working again but my jump is still broken at the moment. My code is that of spaghetti admittedly so I'm having to go in and mess around with the player movement controls in hopes of getting something working.

3/13/25

Well today's been way more productive as I actually worked out a lot of the problems I was having with the animation controller in only about an hour and 30 minutes! yay!


We've got full movement!!!!! The jump is still a bit weird as right now I only have the fall animation set in the animator, but with things properly working now hopefully

After this I took a break and then worked for another 2 and a half hours, totaling my work time today to 5 hours. My second work session was spent getting the jump to work better and while I have made progress in how the jump and double jump trigger its still not fully there. Hopefully next session.  

3/14/25

The first 20 minutes of today's work session was spent tying up most of the loose ends I had with the jump animations, here's where we're at!

 

Excuse the lag spike in the gif, but basically the jump and double jump play at the correct times now and the fall animation activates for both falling from a jump and falling from a ledge. There's only one bug left with the animations that I know of and that's the fact that sometimes if you press the forward and back input rapidly while falling, Doc will get stuck in the fall animation even if they're grounded until they move again. I'm thinking to solve this I'll just have some float that checks the player's velocity on the y axis and if it's at 0 then they go to the idle...? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what triggers them to get stuck honestly. Though with that said I am just going to put a pin in this for now and move onto the other programming things I need to tackle and this isn't anything game-breaking.

...And turns out that would be it for my in-engine work today. Wasn't feeling the best, but in exchange I made more progress on portfolio site stuff.

3/18/25

I don't have anymore updates for Farer Dreamer itself at the moment, but I wanted to show the back of the business card I've been chipping away at as I finished that up tonight and it features Doc amidst some of my other critters from other projects of mine!

I'll have these at my table for grabs/to hand out at the showcase. I'd love to have some other Farer Dreamer specific trinkets like maybe stickers or small prints of the concept art but we'll see, the actual project comes first haha

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 3

Fall Week 2 Worklog: Game Mechanics and Levels (Take 1) 9/8/2024 - by next week I am going to be taking a hacksaw to like half of these ideas I figured I should actually, y'know, write out what the gameplay mechanics and such are for this thing instead of just spinning them around in my head at maximum velocity. yapping below the read more if you're interested General Gameplay Mechanics Basic 3D environment movement, jumping, and a dash. Player HP - Sliding health bar? 100 HP? The camera will be 3rd person, controlled by mouse movement. In SOME areas it'll be locked to one perspective (like the hub area) Maybe I'll have the player be able to zoom in and out via the scroll wheel The basic gameplay loop is as follows: Player starts out on the subway The subway stops, player exits Player enters a random level, subway leaves Player explores the level and finds the subway car door once again Player enters the subway, loop During the intermissions in between the levels, the p...

Entry 7

  Fall Week 6 Worklog I spent most of this week tweaking my schedule (also moving it to trello so I can split the levels and such by lists and also have something to yell at me HEY YOUR DUE DATE FOR THIS IS COMING UP) and, again, working on the player and camera controllers. 10/6/2024 Haven't touched this project in a minute this week, but I think I've made a good chunk of progress today! It doesn't look like it visually, but code-wise I think I've finally found something that will hopefully play nice with the character animations I'd like to implement. The camera is the biggest thing I've realized I need to learn more about as most of my 3rd person games in the past have had cameras that were not controller by the player. While I did play around with some camera stuff today it was… Not very successful. I am not sure what was making the camera orbit it just did (the stretch was due to me cranking the FOV up, for the sillies) The thing that's currently makin...

Entry 1

  Intro 8/29/2024 - Welcome to the next roughly six+ months of my life! maybe more! oh boy! Here is where I'm going to be documenting my overall thoughts and development on my senior thesis project, as it is required as a part of the grade that I keep a devlog. Posting it here wasn't a part of that requirement, but I thought it'd be easier to share. Whether you're a friend I sent this to or someone just happening upon my little corner of the web, welcome! I'm going to be doing a lot of yapping <3 For the time being I've named this project Farer Dreamer. In summary, it's a 3D (…maybe sometimes 2.5D) exploration game where you ride a subway car to… well wherever it decides to take you really. You'll explore the random levels the subway takes you to and maybe meet some interesting characters on your journey. Admittedly this project is more of a last minute decision as opposed to something that's been marinating in the back of my mind for the past fou...